By Edward Grant
Read Online or Download The Foundations of Modern Science in the Middle Ages: Their Religious, Institutional and Intellectual Contexts (Cambridge Studies in the History of Science) PDF
Best history of technology & engineering books
Average philosophy encompassed all ordinary phenomena of the actual international. It sought to find the actual reasons of all typical results and used to be little thinking about arithmetic. in contrast, the precise mathematical sciences have been narrowly restricted to numerous computations that didn't contain actual explanations, functioning completely independently of ordinary philosophy.
Such a lot people know—at least now we have heard—that Benjamin Franklin performed a few type of electric test with a kite. What few folks realize—and what this booklet makes powerfully clear—is that Franklin performed an immense function in laying the principles of contemporary electric technology and know-how. This fast paced publication, wealthy with historic information and anecdotes, brings to existence Franklin, the massive overseas community of scientists and inventors within which he performed a key function, and their striking innovations.
Working counter to the final decline of technological industries in post-Victorian Britain, optical munitions offers an immense, formerly neglected, learn into the company of manufacturing.
Because the mid Sixties, American technology has gone through major adjustments within the means it really is geared up, funded, and practiced. those adjustments contain the decline of easy learn by means of organisations; a brand new orientation towards the temporary and the industrial, with strain on universities and govt labs to take part out there; and the advertising of interdisciplinarity.
- American Enterprise: A History of Business in America
- Air Vagabonds: Oceans, Airmen, and a Quest for Adventure
- Robotic Exploration of the Solar System: Part 2: Hiatus and Renewal, 1983-1996 (Springer Praxis Books)
- Lithic Technology: Measures of Production, Use and Curation
- Scientific Credibility and Technical Standards in 19th and early 20th century Germany and Britain: In 19th and Early 20th Century Germany and Britain (Archimedes)
- Victorian Technology: Invention, Innovation, and the Rise of the Machine (Victorian Life and Times)
Additional resources for The Foundations of Modern Science in the Middle Ages: Their Religious, Institutional and Intellectual Contexts (Cambridge Studies in the History of Science)
The Foundations of Modern Science in the Middle Ages: Their Religious, Institutional and Intellectual Contexts (Cambridge Studies in the History of Science) by Edward Grant